Zimbabwean man accused of hacking family members in Eastern Cape abandons bail

A 32-year-old Zimbabwean national, accused of hacking to death six family members, abandoned bail on Monday 7 December 2020 in the Elliotdale Magistrate’s Court in the Eastern Cape.

The man’s wife and five children were found dead inside their home on 24 November 2020 with an axe not too far from the scene. The deceased included a 42-year-old mother and her children aged between six months old and 10-years-old. The tragic death of the family also came just one day before the 16 Days of Activism for No Violence against Women and Children campaign.


Nowa Makula has been charged with one count violating the Immigration Act and six counts of murder.

“The case has been postponed to 28 January 2021 for further investigations,” said NPA Spokesperson in the Eastern Cape Luxolo Tyali.

Authorities believe the man, a Zimbabwean national, fled the scene for King Williams Town not too long after murdering his own family. The man was said to have been planning to flee to his home country, however, Makula was arrested on the evening of Thursday 26 November 2020, just two days after the gruesome murders.

Provincial Police Commissioner Lieutenant General Liziwe Ntshinga lauded law enforcement for managing to apprehend the suspect.

“I am truly excited at this major breakthrough by the integration of capable and proficient detectives. Their sleepless nights of investigation have paid dividends. The suspect must now face the law. Crimes against Women and Children are a top priority of the South African Police Service, therefore our communities must not only hear this but must see its manifestations in the outcomes of the work that we do,” Ntshinga said.


While the man accused of killing his family abandoned bail in the Eastern Cape, the Durban High Court, on Monday 7 December, found Mohammed Ebrahim guilty of the murder and kidnapping of Miguel Louw back in 2018.

Louw’s decomposing body was discovered in a shallow grave in Longbury Drive, Phoenix near Ebrahim’s home. The last time Louw was seen alive was with Ebrahim at a KFC in Phoenix.

National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Natasha Kara confirmed that Ebrahim was convicted on all counts, including theft, kidnapping and murder. She went on to say that sentencing proceedings would take place on Wednesday.

Read the full story here. 

%d bloggers like this: