If you are looking for dinner to soothe that winter cold or simply to keep you warm, this beef stroganoff recipe will deliver just that. It is savoury, spicy and as comforting as a warm blanket. It is the epitome of feel good food as it does not lack in the flavour and texture departments.
1. 800g beef strips
2. 60g flour
3.40ml vegetable oil
4. 1 onion finely sliced
5. 10ml garlic flakes
6. 30ml lemon juice
7. 1 beef stock cube or one teaspoon of beef flavoured soup powder
8. 1 large tomato, grated to make smooth paste
9.2medium carrots – chopped
10. 5ml smoked paprika
11. 150ml water
12. 150ml milk
13. 150plain yogurt
14. Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a bowl, mix the beef strips with the flour to coat it. Make use of tender beef cuts such as sirloin, ribeye and tenderloin. You can then cut them into strips.
2. Heat oil in a pan and sauté the beef strips for 5 minutes then remove and set aside (Frying in little oil, use high heat for food to caramelize and crust).
3. In the same pan, sauté the onion and garlic flakes until onions are soft and translucent. The onions will absorb the beefy flavour, thereby enhancing the taste of the dish.
4. Add the lemon juice, beef stock cube, tomato, carrots and paprika. Allow to simmer to reduce liquid by half.
5. Add the water, milk and yogurt. Return the beef strips to the pan. The dairy products add to the texture by providing the creamy bit and of cause the savoury taste. If you use hot chillies, the yogurt tones it down to provide a sweet, sour and hot interplay in the dish.
6. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes at medium heat and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
7. Serve with your favourite starch. I recommend any form of pasta and of cause a salad of your choice. It also goes well with rice.
8. Garnish with rosemary stems or finely chopped parsley if you have these at hand.
This insanely tasty beef stroganoff comes together in 30 minutes. The meal fires on all cylinders. It is sweet, savoury and creamy. When you are looking for a feel good warm food, this beef stroganoff really hits the spot.
Source: Manica Post