HARARE – President Emmerson Mnangagwa made his first Politburo appointments on Friday as he seeks to restructure Zanu-PF after the expulsion of G40 Faction members. The appointments were made at the Zanu-PF Extraordinary Congress held at Robert Mugabe Square in Harare. Here are the appointments:
- National Chairperson – Oppah Muchinguri-Kashiri (post was vacant since 2014)
- Secretary for Administration – Obert Mpofu (replaces Ignatius Chombo)
- Secretary for Finance – Patrick Chinamasa (replaces Obert Mpofu)
- Secretary for Commissariat – Major-General Engelbert Rugeje (replaces Saviour Kasukuwere)
*Victor Matemadanda was only the acting National Political Commissar
- Secretary for Science and Technology – Christopher Mutsvangwa (replaces Professor Jonathan Moyo)
- Secretary for Security – Lovemore Matuke
- Secretary for Transport and Welfare – July Moyo (replaces Oppah Muchinguri)
- Secretary for Infomation and Publicity – Simon Khaya Moyo (remains appointed)
- Secretary for Women’s League – Mabel Chinomona (replaces former first lady Grace Mugabe)
- Secretary for Youth League – Pupurai Togarepi ( replaces Kudzai Chipanga)
*Pupurai Togarepi is in his 50s and was previously removed from the post after the youths complained saying that they wanted to be led by one of their own. The led to the elevation of Kudzai Chipanga who has since been expelled from Zanu-PF.
- Secretary for War Veterans – Victor Matemadanda
- Secretary for Legal Affairs – Paul Mangwana
- Deputy Secretary for Legal Affairs- Fortune Chasi
Air Marshal Perrance Shiri and Major General Sibusiso Moyo have also been added to the Politburo.
President Emmerson Mnangagwa said that he is going to make further appointments in the future and revealed that he needs a couple of days to appoint his Vice Presidents.